Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Iranian Democracy Puts Us To Shame

     The massive peaceful resistance by the Iranian people to apparent election fraud offers U.S. citizens a perfect example of how to protest election fraud and corruption. If only enough of us had been capable of that kind of free and independent thought and action in November 2000.
     While some believe the Republicans didn't cheat, a number of researchers, such as David Moore, Bev Harris, and a number of law professors who regard the election as far from definitive.

2 comments:

  1. In November of 2000 the margin of error was bigger than the vote difference. Either candidate was a legitimate choice of the people. Hey, I voted for Nader, but the fact that Bush and Gore essentially tied is a long long ways from what's going on in Iran. If Gore had been declared the winner, it would have been no less an injustice to the 50% who voted Bush. If there had been protests, what would it have changed? Either candidate could have drawn essentially the same number of protesters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was rather surprised to see your original post change, with no 'edited to add' line. If you want to add something, then please state what you added and when. That or simply post a comment.

    I'm aware of all the arguments, and as a flaming liberal, I don't disagree with them. I just think that whenever people argue that the election was stolen, they forget that a massive number of people legitimately voted for the other guy. We could have flipped a coin and it would have been as fair a way to pick.

    What concerns me more than any possible fraud is the fact that we have come to accept a rigged system. While we argue over which of two people would be the best president, they're both gouging at the corporate tough.

    Saw a bumper sticker: I'll keep my money, my guns, and my freedom. You can have your change.

    My response: We're still paying taxes, you still have your guns, and someone is still listening to our phone calls. Not much has changed.

    ReplyDelete